Friday, July 9, 2010

Wheeler Peak Backpacking Trip





I'm hooked!  This was my first backpacking trip that was more than just an overnighter.  We had such a great time and I can't wait to do it again!  The first day was tough because our packs were at their heaviest and the only direction was uphill.  By day 2 though it was awesome.  We spent the morning of day 2 hiking to New Mexico's highest peak, Mt. Wheeler.  I wanted to practice running downhill with poles for TransRockies so I took off on the way down.  I think that was the most fun I've ever had running.  The poles made me so confident that I didn't feel like I needed to break with my quads at all.  Which is ideal...the less I have to put on the breaks, the less my quads will blow up.  The only negative was I had really awful headaches both nights.  I always felt ok when I woke up the next day but they were really awful.  I swear I was drinking enough water, but I just read on a website this morning that when at altitude you should drink 3 liters a day...when it's a REST day.  It you're working it could be up to 8!!  I was drinking about 1.5 liters every morning, but when we stopped hiking, my drinking slowed down.  I already had to pee every half-hour anyway, but maybe I needed to do more.



I'm really excited for TransRockies but also nervous.  We were at almost the exact altitude that TR will be at.  Besides the nightly headaches, my body felt ok at altitude.  I definitely feel behind in my training though from all of June's traveling.  The next 6 weeks are all about building my base mileage as much as I can without getting injured.  I have El Scorcho 25k at midnight on July 25 which I will just do as a training run and then Rivercities Sprint Tri on August 1.  I'm glad I have that so I get out on the bike the next 3 weeks.  Even though I feel like I just need to run, run, run...cross training definitely suits my body best.






No comments: