Friday, November 23, 2012

IRONMAN Arizona 11/18/2012

PRE-RACE & SWIM


Swim start
(thanks to Mama C for the photo!)
Going into this race I knew that I had done everything to the best of my ability to be prepared.  I don't have a coach (which stressed me out big time in the beginning of my training) but I was confident in the training plans that I made every week for myself and most importantly, I believed I could do it. 

Unfortunately what I didn't see coming was a nasty cold the Wednesday before the race.  Wednesday and Thursday (my travel day) I was optimistic that it would go away by Sunday.  Friday I woke up and felt absolutely horrible. My body hurt everywhere, I kept having chills and sweating spells, I was in full blown panic. My dad drove me to Athlete Check-In and I just wanted to get in and out of there as fast as I could.  I couldn't even enjoy the experience because I felt so bad.  I know that this was intensified because I was so stressed about my diminishing time to get better before the race. 

Friday night I picked my husband up from the airport and we went to dinner just the two of us.  Within an hour of him being with me in Tempe my mental state had done a total 180.  I race all the time and rarely do I ask my husband to go to my races.  His being there however was the key to me having a good race.  He kept me so calm and so positive.  He talked me through everything and made it all seem doable.  He was able to talk me down from the panic that I'd felt all day and assure me that I would be fine.

Team Drum housemates.  How can you be sad with these people around?!
Greg, Julia, Byron, Melissa, Erin, MK, Cherry
(thanks to Mama C for the photo!)
Saturday I woke up and felt no better but the attitude I chose for the day was excitement.  I was going to see my friends today and I was going to go to the practice swim.  I was excited!!! I faked smiles and faked energy and told my body that it was happy and it was BETTER! The practice swim went great, I wasn't nearly as cold as I expected to be and seeing all my amazing friends that came out to Arizona was a huge pick-me-up.  I turned in my bike and gear bags and we headed back to the house.

Beautiful girls Julia & Melissa
(thanks to Mama C for the photo!)
My family and in-laws and I all were sharing a house and it was great to just rest and play games and have my mom cook for me.  I was so spoiled the whole week. I was really tired by 8:00 Saturday night and had no problem falling asleep by 8:30.  I slept until my alarm went off at 3:50, only waking a few times with a cough.  I got at least 7 hours of sleep! I didn't feel nervous, I just knew the day was going to be what it was going to be. My friend Steve facebooked me Saturday and told me even though I was sick I could still control my pace, my nutrition, and my attitude.  That is all I thought about until I got off my bike.  "Stay steady, EAT, be happy."

Happy.  I've waited so long for this day!
(thanks to Mama C for the photo!)
Milling around in transition, checking my bags, figuring out where spectators should go, hitting up the bathroom....it was time to put my wetsuit on before I could blink!  Amazingly I found Jason and Troy with no problem and we hung out and waited for the eager triathletes to get in the water before us.  Was able to be with Evan and my Dad until the very last minute.  As Jason and I stood on the ledge about to JUMP into the cold water I must have had a look of pure panic on my face.  He looked at me and said sternly, "We jump in together and we stay together until the start." Relief flooded over me as we jumped in and swam together to a paddle board to hang on to.  Having him next to me made me so relaxed and I just felt ready to go! We hung on to the paddle board way in the back of the pack until just before the gun and then started to go!  

Jason, Me, Troy pre-race
(thanks to Mama C for the photo!)
Athletes jumping in and swimming to start line
(thanks to Mama C for the photo!)
 Tried to swim easy and relaxed and thought after awhile, gah, I hope I've at least past the start line by now because we started so far back! Haha!  Didn't have very many issues with people, they let us start in such a wide area, it's a really easy swim.  I'm sure I swam way extra but I just focused on always looking for a hole and swimming into that hole.  I tried to focus on a long glide and strong pull and a relaxed effort.  At the turn around for the last straight away I looked at my watch and was under 38:00 for about 1900 yards.  Felt great about that because it felt like I was swimming really easy.

Husband, Me, Dad before the start
(thanks to Mama C for the photo!)
For the last long mile I was surrounded by pink caps trying to get around green caps. I tried to hang on to some pink feet and pick up my pace.  I don't think I did, but I was looking at my watch occasionally and really trying to have a good swim time.  Once we turned the last corner to head home I was feeling super thirsty and hungry and ready to get out of the water.  I felt delirious and dizzy as the volunteer helped me out of the water.  I couldn't run very well and felt so out of it!!  Just baby-stepped my way around the long chute to the changing tent.  Saw friends and family and smiled as big as I could.  I was going to be happy today no matter what!!!  Sat down in the changing tent and asked for help.  Was kind of talking to myself and seeing women totally change and thought, man, what a huge pain. Why are they changing?  Volunteer handed me my bike and it was time to mount up!!  Heard huge cheers for DRUM and I smiled and held on to their energy.

Swim: 1:22:07
T1: 6:45

Getting on bike!
(thanks to Mama C for the photo!)

Next up...bike and T2

3 comments:

Jason said...

Awesome report. I'm not sure if you had panic in your face or if it was more for me to feel comfortable but either way it kept us both in the moment and not nervous. Just another swim at Lake Grapevine.

I couldn't remember if we started under the first or second bridge but I am glad we started swimming a moment or two before the cannon went off so that we were already in motion.

Great job on the swim and I think I recall seeing you at one point in the water but with 2900 other friends who the F knows if that was you or just some other pink capped swimmer.

Can't wait for part II and III.

Elaine Vallie said...

Beautiful!! I'm excited to read the bike portion!

That Pink Girl said...

One of my favorite littles fishes. I LOVE your positive attitude - we can all learn from this!