Sunday, March 20, 2011

Grasslands Marathon

When I got home from Grasslands yesterday I told Evan that it was a super hard race and I never felt good, but I had so much fun and it was just what I needed. He looked down and just shook his head.

His reaction made me think so much about why it was just what I needed. What about it made me feel so whole, so once again satisfied with the mundaneness of day to day life? I totally understand why he doesn't get it. I've never cared that he wasn't a runner, he supports me 100% and listens to my endless runner babble. But I feel like I needed a way to explain why running a marathon in a sand pit after I've been sick for a week and a half in 85 degree weather is my idea of a good time.

I feel so alive when I run. Every pore and every cell in my body is working in harmony to accomplish the same goal. I can feel every part of my body. At some point everything hurts. That hurt just travels to different areas and you have to know that it won't last. I feel even more alive when I run trails. I loved the sand because it made it hard, I loved last year's mud, I love creek crossings, I love the cows, I loved the gates, I just love being outside. Nothing is really pretty about Grasslands. Everything is dead, there's nothing stereotypically pretty about it. And yet, it's wonderful. I loved the scenery and the tiny patches of purple flowers that you would come upon. I loved the cows blocking the trail and having to stop to open the gates and shut them again so the cows wouldn't get out.

I've spent the last week and a half with the worst cold I've had in years. Because this past week was spring break I spent it on the couch bored out of my mind and feeling sorry for myself. I got so antsy and so miserable. I didn't have the energy to run or lift weights but I wasn't so bad that I just slept all day. I was very worried about running a trail marathon under these conditions. Finally, Friday I started feeling good. Took some Tylenol Cold and Sinus and allergy medicine and spent the day out of the house. I didn't know what Saturday's marathon would bring me but I was feeling better about it.

The first 45 minutes were pure hell. My heart rate was off the charts, I could barely get my legs to function and mucus was pouring out of my head faster than I was running. And then...I felt great. I could breathe, my heart rate got back to normal and my legs ran the next 3 miles like they finally remembered how to run. It was awesome. I knew then that I would finish and my cold was now a distant memory.

Unfortunately, those 3 miles were the only miles my legs actually ran well. After that until the end it was a total slog-fest. Yes, it was so sandy. Running on a beach that has never been touched by the ocean, sandy. Sand everywhere. Snot everywhere. But the main thing is I just didn't feel strong. My legs weren't my legs.

The best part was I knew it didn't matter. I didn't have a time goal, this wasn't an A race for me, I was just out there to have fun running. And I did. I had a great time, this runner's high will last me for weeks. Having done so many long runs this year and Palo Duro 50k and TransRockies 3 day, I knew that I could keep going. It was excruciatingly slow, but I knew I could just keep going. So I just settled in and enjoyed the day under the circumstances that I was given.

3 comments:

AgileToes said...

Sometimes a race like this can sneak up on you in a positive way...it attests to the true nature of your running character. It isn't about the race so much as it is about your inclination and capability of getting out there and doing something most people just don't get :) Congrats on a successful day! (and yes, I consider it a success when you can take something away from your experience)

ERIN C. said...

I heart you :D
Never a dull moment, always inspirational.

Thomas Tan said...

Great job and hope to see you at Jemez. I'm attempting the 50 mi with a sprained ankle so I probably downgrade to 50K. I'm sure you'll catch up to me & pass me very early in the race :) Best of luck!