Sunday, March 13, 2011

Jemez 50k Training Plans


The next big race on my schedule is Jemez 50k (actually 33.2 miles) in Los Alamos, New Mexico.  All I've heard about this race is what a beast it is.  I believe the elevation is around 7,500 ft to 10,480 at the peak of Caballo Mountain.  


After Grasslands my training will be centered on Jemez.  I think I'm going to run Oklahoma Memorial Marathon as a long training run and also do TexasMan Sprint Triathlon in May to make sure that I get in some cross-training in the next 8 weeks.  I'm really looking forward to getting back to my track workouts and hill/tempo training.  I'll go back to alternating long runs with faster mid-range runs on the weekends and add in some bike miles.  I think getting back on the bike will really help my climbing in New Mexico.  I've also been really focused on squats, deadlifts, and lunges in the weight room with the goal being to strengthen my climbing muscles. I'm really excited.  I'm not quite as worried about the climbing as I am the altitude.  Last time I was in New Mexico I had awful altitude headaches.  We'll get there just in time for the dinner on Friday and the race is Saturday.  They say either get there a week early or the night before.  I'm pretty sure I need a week...but that's impossible.  It should be an adventure!

2 comments:

ERIN C. said...

I agree with what you're saying about strengthening your climbing muscles. Anthony is great about pushing me with different lunges and squats. The first time I ran Palo Duro I was singing his name the whole 12 miles!! I hadn't done much hill running at all (or trail for that matter) and I KNOW it made a huge difference. Awesomeness as always :-D.

UltraMamaC said...

SQUEEE for OKC!!